The road system in Belize is improving all the time, and there are now several relatively high quality highways in Belize.
The main highways in Belize are:
- The Northern Highway (which replaces the Old Northern Highway). This road leads from Belize City to Orange Walk Town, Corozal Town and Chetumal (Mexico).
- The Western Highway, also named George Price Highway, leads from Belize City to Hattieville, the Belize Zoo, Belmopan, San Ignacio, Santa Elena and to Benque Viejo del Carmen at the Guatemalan border.
- The Hummingbird Highway. This road leads from Belmopan to Dangriga.
- The Coastal Highway. This road connects the area of Democracia at the Western Highway in the Belize District with the area of Melinda at the Hummingbird Highway in the Stann Creek District.
- The Southern Highway. This road connects the area of Dangriga with the region of Punta Gorda.
The road conditions are not equal across all roads. Note that four of the highways are fully paved, while others are largely dust tracks (i.e. the Coastal Highway and the Old Northern Highway).